Orthognathic Surgery in Duncanville and Grand Prairie, Texas
Orthodontic technology can seamlessly handle multiple jaw issues, although some cases may require surgery to achieve the best results.
Henderson Orthodontics arranges orthognathic surgeries to treat patients of all ages. We will create a detailed plan to prep, treat and heal your jaw and smile.
What Is Corrective Jaw Surgery?
Surgical orthodontics, or orthognathic surgery, involves the mouth, jaw and face. Jaw surgery treats issues that will not respond to other orthodontic treatments. These conditions can either be aesthetic or health-related, and they can result from injury or genetics.
Corrective jaw surgery realigns your jawbones so you can easily talk, breathe and perform other functions. Other forms of jaw surgery can include dental implant placement, wisdom teeth removal and biopsies.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Orthognathic Surgery?
Jaw surgery is ideal after growth stops
, between 14-16 in females and 17-21 in males. Surgeons usually operate after the jaw forms completely to prevent future complications.
There are many reasons someone might need orthognathic jaw surgery, including:
- Frequent headaches.
- Difficulty biting, chewing or swallowing.
- Chronic pain or temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ).
- Breathing issues.
- Open bite.
Surgery is a potential treatment for anyone with these issues who cannot benefit from orthodontic treatments. It is best to consult with your oral surgeon for jaw surgery to determine whether it is the best option for your case.
What to Expect With Jaw Surgery
Jaw surgery can provide relief from multiple jaw issues. We will walk you through each phase and keep you comfortable throughout treatment.
You can expect the following during each treatment step:
- Preparation: Before surgery, the doctor will ask you not to eat or drink anything for up to 12 hours. If you need to take medication, only use a small sip of water.
- Procedure: During the procedure, your oral and maxillofacial surgeon will make incisions and adjust your jaw. The process will change depending on your needs, but you can talk to your surgeon to learn more about your case.
- Recovery: After surgery, you will experience some pain and swelling. The initial healing period is about six weeks, but it can take up to 12 weeks or longer to heal completely. We recommend taking two weeks off of school or work to rest.
Why Choose Us for Orthognathic Surgery?
Henderson Orthodontics has helped people learn to love their smile for years. Our team consists of friendly office staff and Dr. Marlon Henderson. Our staff will make you feel at home during each appointment.
Dr. Henderson is certified by the American Board of Orthodontics (ABO)
, which ensures quality orthodontic services for patients nationwide. Our plans include flexible financing options so more people have access to quality orthodontic treatment. Outside of our orthodontic work, we like to give back to our community
as much as possible.
Contact Henderson Orthodontics Today
Whether you need surgery to correct your bite or alleviate breathing trouble, Henderson Orthodontics can help. We are here for you with premium orthodontic care and advice. Book an appointment today
or call us at 972-263-8700 to get started!